Birr Castle offers something for everyone and especially interesting and educational for families. The Castle is home to the 7th Earl of Rosse and as such the residential areas are not accessible to the public. The grounds and gardens are publicly accessible.
The main feature on the grounds is the “Great Telescope” it was completed in 1845 and was used for decades.
The grounds of the castle contain the oldest the oldest wrought iron bridge in Ireland dating from 1820. The walled gardens in the grounds feature box hedges that are over 300 years old. According to the GuinnessBook of Records they are the tallest hedges in the world.
The Maldron Portlaoise hotel is located 30 minutes by car from Birr Castle.
Here at the Maldron Hotel Portlaoise we offer a range of packages which include a visit to Birr Castle:
1 Night Bed and Breakfast + visit to Birr Castle, From €119
- Bed & Full Irish Breakfast for 2 Adults & up to 2 Children
- Tickets for 2 Adults & up to 2 Children to Birr Castle
- Full Complimentary access to our white flag awarded Club Vitae Leisure Centre which includes Kiddies pool, a 20 meter pool 1.2 meter depth, gym, sauna, steam room & Jacuzzi.
- Ample free parking
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access throughout hotel
- Access to the hotels games room
- Offer also includes 10% off Kildare Village voucher
- Cinema Room Open each Friday & Saturday evening
For more information you can contact us on (057) 8695900
For more things to do in Laois click here