Environmental Impact Team - Caring for Our Environment
Living Green is Maldron Hotel Portlaoise’s environment movement which inspires care for our environment as a way of life throughout our hotel for our people and our guests.
We have partnered with Green Tourism, a hospitality specialist environment accreditation partner. Green Tourism has completed an Energy and Sustainability audit in our hotel. In 2021, we were accredited with gold status. As our Environmental Impact Team advances on this journey, we are committed and aiming to reduce our carbon footprint by another 30% in the next 3 years. This award is acknowledged both nationally and internationally and is our first step in progressing on our green journey.
Our Green Tourism initiatives began as a management decision but as a team, we fully understand the huge benefits of Living Green. We look forward to playing our part in protecting our environment for future generations to help secure the long-term sustainability of the tourism industry.
Travel and transport
As part of our commitment to Green Tourism, we have partnered with Barrow Way Bike Hire in Vicarstown, Co Laois. Bike rental can be arranged from reception in the hotel.
To begin this journey, we have reduced our water and energy consumption and have a waste prevention program in place. This policy is driven by our passionate Environmental Impact Team members who take charge and encourage all colleagues to comply. The team was recently set up with the aim of completing the following actions in 2021 to minimise our footprint on the environment:
- Removal of waste from the front of the hotel which will reduce our waste by 6 bags per week.
- Installation of solar panels to reduce energy costs.
- Installation of a pool cover in Club Vitae’s leisure centre to reduce our energy costs.
- Tree planting on our hotel grounds to offset our carbon footprint on distance travelled to work by all our employees.
- Energy saving – all employees encouraged to turn off lights and appliances when not in use.
- TV’s set to low resolution.
- Water aerators installed throughout the hotel to control the flow of water thereby conserving it.
- Sensor lights added to common spaces.
- Waste minimisation – non-perishable and short shelf-life foods will be given to a local charity.
- Bike to Work scheme – promotion internally to encourage our staff to cycle to work.
Moving away from single-use products – bedrooms and bathrooms are fitted with refillable soaps and shower gels and eco-friendly paper straws are used throughout the hotel.
Living Green - The Future
Maldron Hotels & Partners are committed to continuing our efforts to reduce our environmental impact. If you would like to know more about our environmental movement, please click here.